August 7, 2007

Quick Cards

Here are 2 cards I made for co-workers' birthdays. I needed to get them done in advance because the little party we have at work is today and I am off work this week. I used Memory Box matching cards and envelopes for both cards. Memory Box products are not that easy to find on line. I buy from Karen at Paperosity, Ellen Hutson, and Anna at Sassy and Sweet Crafts. All are listed in my $$$ links on the right! My local stamp store, Angela's Happy Stamper (about 25 minute drive for me, so not that local) also carries Memory Box and the owner of Memory Box, Dave Breuthauer, is coming to Angela's in September to teach two classes. I signed up immediately and cannot wait to learn from him. He is a master at watercoloring and using colored pencils on greeting cards and I love his style. For the top card, I adhered strips of 1 inch wide copy paper onto the Eggshell card and used temporary tape to hold down the strips while I stamped, creating a negative space border and then stamped SU Lilac ink and a flower from Autumn Leaves Rhonna Farrer Flowers set. I like this layout, but will take a little more time to place the flowers in a better arrangement next time I use it. The bottom card uses SU's Artfully Asian and CTMH's Card Sentiments set. The inside is "you are getting better." I used SU markers to color in both cards. Hope Jennifer and Ron like their cards! ****** No stamping today until I clean up the mess I created yesterday making a card (I'll post that later.) I've been keeping to this cleaning plan more or less for the past couple of weeks and it really helps keep me in the mood for stamping.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards. I actually have the flowers on the top card. Thanks for sharing the technique.
    That's a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me to use masking on my OLCs! I never remember this, and it's such an effective way to make your focal pop and take center-stage! Hope you are having a wonderful stamping day, Joan! TFS these, and well, everything you share. I enjoyed your Copic review, too! I'm just getting into them and learning about them. I am awaiting the arrival of another ink pad to further test compatibility with the markers--I actually haven't been displeased with the Palette, but, then, I do prefer the results I get using Brilliance more. It's interesting finding what works "well" and what doesn't, altho sometimes tedious, I tell ya' . . . (insert rolling eyeballs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you to get to take a class from Dave Brethauer! I haven't found his book at Borders yet, so I may just have to order it. I can't wait to see what you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The border that you created for the top card is awesome. I have to try that. Both of your cards came out lovely.

    How lucky are you to have Dave Brethauer coming to your local SS. I can hardly wait to hear about your expereince in his class.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you did the top card, Joan. May have to try that with SU's "In Full Bloom."

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cards are lovely, Joan! They are simple, yet elegant.

    - dlm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for the top card, I have used this technique before on Christmas cards. I cut a circle out of scrap paper and used negative part for the card mask. I stamped snowflakes of various sizes and colors in the circle. When you remove the mask it looks kind of like a snowglobe if you draw a base or an ornament if you draw a string and add a bow.

    ReplyDelete