January 21, 2007

Dry Embossing Without a 'Bug!

I made this card for a dear friend, who will be turning 60th this month. I added a close up of the details so that you could see how lovely dry embossing is -- and did it by hand! No Cuttlebug! I hope Stampin Up continues to make brass stencils that coordinate with their sets, as they are indeed lovely. This particular stencil also includes piercing holes to make piercing around the images a snap. Got to love it! For those of you that are unfamiliar with dry embossing, you use a Light Table (available at most craft stores and through Stampin Up, and a metal embossing pen with a ball tip called a stylus. Place the stencil on the table (turn on the table -- the light from within the table is what helps you see through the paper to the stencil.) Tape the stencil to the table in a few places so that it doesn't slide around. Rub wax paper over your cardstock. Place the cardstock over the portion of the stencil that you want to emboss and, holding firmly, trace the the stencil with your embossing stylus over the waxed cardstock. Keep moving the paper over the portions that you want to emboss. This is time consuming and can also be a bit stressful on the hands -- but the old fashioned way allows you to use part of a stencil anywhere on cardstock or vellum, while folders like the Cuttlebug produce a full quarter page embossed in 30 seconds, but with no ablility to use parts of an image. Each has its place in the aresenal we are all accummulating!!! Supplies Used: All Stampin Up, unless otherwise noted: Bodacious Bouquet Stamp Set and coordiating Brassy Template Stencil; Crafter's Tool Kit, White, Pretty in Pink, Mellow Moss, Lovely Lilac and Cardstock Vellum cardstocks; Earth Elements Brad; Lovely Lilac Craft ink; Mellow Moss dye ink; Non- Stampin Up: computer generated saying; light table, stylus, japanese screw punch.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I really should remember those brass stencils in the drawer . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan

    this is lovely - and I especially thank you for sharing the how-to's for embossing (not something I've tried yet beyond the 'bug!

    Thanks for sharing -

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have everything I need to make this card, so I think I'll be CASE'ing it! I've played with my light table and stencils, but haven't yet made a CARD with it - dumb, huh? LOL Thanks for the tip about taping the stencil down - I never would've thought of it, and I'm sure it would be frustrating to have it slip!

    Thanks for your inspiration!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. ***Applause, applause, I have nothing against the bugs but love being reminded there is always more than one way to do things! TFS
    Ozarkglittergirl at
    TypePad/Beauty For Ashes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan, this is just lovely1 And I'm guessing that your hand was tired before you finished. . . BTW, I just tagged you! See this post for details: http://debbiedesigns.typepad.com/muse_and_amuse/2007/01/tagged_twice.html

    No pressure. . . Really. . . (Right!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joan I just love seeing you grow as a stamper. You are doing so well! These cards are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete